Greater Good #GivingTuesday Prep
It’s sweltering out there. It may be October, but it’s still hitting 80+ degrees outside GGS HQ. Despite the temps, we’ve been eating apples and honey for Rosh Hashanah, and before we know it we’ll be dressing up for Halloween, and then BOOM, we’re all in stretchy sweatpants (or sequins — hey, you do you) toasting 2020’s arrival.
All of that means that #GivingTuesday (which falls on December 3 this year) and End of Year (EOY) giving campaigns will be here any minute, so it’s best to start planning now if you haven’t yet.
Here are a few of our best end-of-year fundraising tips to get you started:
1. #GivingTuesday is the best kick-off to end-of-year (EOY) fundraising. In 2018, organizations raised $380 million on #GivingTuesday, a 27% increase since 2017. So there’s no denying the day has caught on — but that also means more organizations are participating than ever before. It’s hard to be heard over all the noise. So think of #GivingTuesday as a starting point, not an end goal.
2. Give a GIFT on #GivingTuesday. Fundraising doesn’t have to be a one-way street and we know that your organization needs support from donors year-round. So, on #GivingTuesday, try giving your donors a gift (think: resources, e-cards, thank you calls) and ask them for a gift when you need it most. Check out how one GGS client made the most of #GivingTuesday.
3. Tell your story. If December 3 is just the beginning of your EOY campaign, use the whole month to tell your organization’s story. Make it relatable by vividly highlighting one person who was impacted by your services or programs. And always bring it back to the donor and how their contribution makes a difference.
4. Go LIVE. Bring life to your end of year campaigns with a series of Facebook or Instagram live segments. Have volunteers or constituents tell stories that show the direct impact of donor’s gifts.
5. Make it PUN-believable. Try out a word play that makes the global campaign specific to your organization like Giving SHOES Day (which the organization Dress for Success has used) or LIVING Tuesday.
6. Strategize. You’ll make the most out of your EOY appeals with a strong strategy in place that builds on itself. Lead your donors to action as they connect with your organization through social media, email, peer-to-peer fundraising, and more throughout the whole month.
Follow these tips and you’ll have year-end success that other organizations will envy.